Welcome To The GET OFF YOUR ASS AND WRITE Club

For wannabe writers afflicted with chronic procrastination and lack of motivation.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Fact or Fiction Friday- Andie



Is anyone else going to participate in this activity? Just curious. ....

Last weeks entry was fiction for me, but it was fact for a friend of mine. She called off her wedding after dating the same guy for 9 years. They dated throughout high school and college. But I wrote it as if it happened to me to make it a fictional story.


Fact or Fiction- August 18, 2006



It was a perfect October day that we had chosen to go to the game. The humidity was low for once, and the temperature hovered at around 70 degrees while a soft breeze blew and the sun shone radiantly along the 5 miles of open field designated for tailgating.

As we walked around the lots, intoxicating smells of burning charcoal, freshly cut grass and charred hot dogs hung in the air, welcoming me to a place I'd once called home.

We walk along, the beat of bass drums pulling me toward them. I can feel the vibrations in my stomach full with beer and snacks. I walk toward the sounds of the band, waiting to hear the rest of the instruments chime in. I come up to a van covered in purple and gold paint and looks as though it’s there from a radio station or news channel. Apparently the radio station is picking individuals to participate in a football throwing contest at halftime, to win $10,000!

So of course, I think to myself, what have I got to lose?

I register for the contest, thinking, "there is no way I’ll get picked."
I take the cheap blue pen that I can hardly get a stroke of ink out of and haphazardly fill out the entry form.

The preshow to the game was beginning, so we continued to follow the sounds of the band, my hips attempting to gyrate with the sounds of the music they played as we walked up the ramp into that stadium, which to me, seemed almost larger than life. The smells of nacho cheese, stale chips and jalapenos drifted to my nose and I heard the pish pash pish sound of the fountain drink machines in the corridor, welcoming me into my dream world. I was in heaven.

As we sat in our seats, which happened to be in the north end zone, my heart began to beat as the game started and they announced the attendance at the game was the highest ever at 98,000 something or another. Among the purple, gold and white sea of fans, there wasn’t an empty seat to be had.

The stadium roared with contention when a foul was called, but then cheers rang out and shook the earth as when the team scored yet again and again … those sounds of the fight song reverberating amongst the boisterous cheers of fans on that breezy October night. My heart continued to pump with adrenaline.

And then they called my name for the halftime contest.

My heart jumped out of my chest. I just couldn’t do it.

Or Could I?

1 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger RantsyPants said...

I think this sounds like fact. I've been to loads of football games, and I don't think you can describe everything you have, unless you've experienced it yourself.

Or maybe you're just that good! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home