Welcome To The GET OFF YOUR ASS AND WRITE Club

For wannabe writers afflicted with chronic procrastination and lack of motivation.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Sure to be Scandalous-Vacation Memories

And don't think I haven't noticed that no one has partaken in the Valedictorian Exercise.

Sixteen.

Our parents weren't the kind to keep us apart, knowing that we would both just be that much more hungry for each other's company. Disapproval would have been disaster. If you keep your friends close and your enemies closer, then you keep your teenager's significant other right under your nose.

My brother and his girlfriend had signed up for an Outward Bound trek in the alps, and though I was jealous that they would be 'alone together', I didn't make a big deal about it. I was going to Corfu, Greece.

Four days, three nights...

Four days in a glorious warm sunshine on pebbly beaches blanketed by water so crystalline you could lose yourself in it. Three nights waiting for just the right moment to sneak away from the watchful eyes of his parents...

They understood young love, and to tell the truth, I barely remember them at all when I recall my favorite spot on the face of the earth. I remember him- and holding on to him on the back of a Vespa, taking switchbacks up the mountains, eating real Greek gyros... walking through the market, flying high together on a parasail...

The boy is long gone and there's nothing left but memories of one of the greatest adventures of my life. And though I love my life and the way it all worked out, I will always and forever have a spot in my heart where I miss being young and in love, in Greece.

3 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I have always wanted to go to greece. someday.....

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Chrissy said...

Did you see "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants"? Girl, you lived that Greek part of the story!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger RantsyPants said...

I've always wanted to have a romance abroad. Aahhhh...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home