Welcome To The GET OFF YOUR ASS AND WRITE Club

For wannabe writers afflicted with chronic procrastination and lack of motivation.

Monday, May 29, 2006

My house growing up

I lived in a brown and gold 3 story victorian, atop a hill, on the outskirts of Baltimore City. I loved that house more than I thought was humanly possible! Some of the best days of my childhood were spent running through the beautifaul garden my father had planted across the front and down one entire side of the house. There were trees, shrubs, flowers of every size and color, a pond, and a path that led you from the front of the house to the back. My father had even dug out a corner cubby with step seating that was surrounded by the trees and hedges on three sides and the pond on the fourth. It was magical. My friends and I used to call it 'the jungle'.

Tall hedges across the front and down the two sides allowed for privacy from the street and from the neighbors on either side. My favorite part of the hedge was the honeysuckle growing in it. Little pops of color peeking out from the green leaves, and the smell! Heaven on earth is the only way to describe it. To this day, every time I smell honeysuckle I think back to summer days when I was a girl.

We had an above ground pool in the back and a fort that my grandfather had built when I was very young. Everyone in the neighborhood loved to come to my house in the summer time. Whether it was just hanging out on the porch swing, playing capture the flag in the yard, playing army and spies in the garden and fort, or swimming in the pool all day and all night, I couldn't have asked for a better place to grow up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home